Every year millions of people leave their homes and move to new places, the Britain are no exception. According to a report, about 50 million people in UK had changed their houses and moved to new places from 1995 to 2000. Someone prefers to go to another city or another region, but someone — to another country.
Anyway, moving causes many problems, including household waste and everybody tries to minimize it. At the same time, the number of wastes increases significantly with each number of moving. The average British produces 700 kilograms of waste per year, among which paper and cardboard wastes take the first place, it is 280 kilos; plastic wastes are the second ones — 70 kg, 24 in textiles; and 36 in wood.
Despite the fact that when within the growth of waste recycling and that about 30% of municipal waste is processed, Great Britain increases more and more waste: from 247 million tons of non-hazardous waste in 1990 to 409 million tons in 2001. These numbers increase every year. But it is worth noting that recycling of certain raw materials has become more developed, especially recycling of paper — 42%, plastic soft drink bottles — 40%, aluminium beer and soft drink cans — 55%, steel packaging — 57%, and major appliances — 52%. Nowadays, it is recycled twice as much as 15 years ago. Referring to the positive changes, it is also worth adding that due to composting and recycling, tons of rubbish are not sent to landfills and incinerators that largely helps to improve the ecological situation.
The environment should also be remembered when you choose a removal company which service you will use when moving. Make sure that they keep the use of green methods, such as recycle materials, using special equipment to save on packaging materials, etc. You can check whether it complies with the removal company on their official website.
In order to improve the recycling situation and reduce waste number, when you are moving, you can use the following tips:
1. Try to save boxes in advance; do not buy new ones if there is no urgent need. You can also ask your friends and neighbors who may have boxes left after their moving. Moreover, there are many local businesses, where you can find unnecessary boxes for them;
2. You can also consult with your removal company about renting reusable boxes and storage. Nowadays many companies provide this service and these boxes can be used for many years and recycled afterwards.
3. Use corrugated boxes as they are made from recycled materials;
4. You can put some things in your own bags and suitcases instead of packing everything completely in boxes;
5. Use environmentally preferable packing materials, such as old newspapers or bubble wrap which contain recycled plastic to wrap your things;
6. Recycle all your boxes and all the wrapping material that you used during the move;
7. All household cleaners, paints, oil and other hazardous non-recyclable materials must be disposed of properly. It cannot be recycled with other materials and require special disposal. That is why you may find out in advance where these substances are taken;
8. You can use recycled latex paint during repair and household projects;
9. The best option to get rid of unnecessary furniture and things is a yard sale. You can sell everything you no longer need: from clothes to toys. There is no doubt that there are many people who want to buy it all at an attractive price. Eventually, you can donate all unnecessary things to charity.
If there is a recycling program in a new place, join it, sort all your waste and deliver it to recycling points. Besides, you can use clothes and things that can be reused or repaired, products made from recycled materials, etc. All these actions will significantly reduce environmental damage.